For this edition of our series of exhibition-related playlists I tackled Luis Meléndez: Master of the Spanish Still Life, opening Sunday. We begin with a song about painting and end with a song about Spain, and in between are songs about as many of the items as I could find that that appear in Meléndez’s paintings—vegetables, dishes, etc. Unfortunately I didn’t have any songs about pomegranates or artichokes—nor, for that matter, cheese or pears or melons or tomatoes. Perhaps you can be of service: what songs did I miss?
- Destroyer: European Oils
- Snow Patrol: Chocolate
- Brian Wilson: Vege-Tables
- Bright Eyes: Bowl of Oranges
- Iron & Wine: Bird Stealing Bread
- Pulp: Dishes
- Animal Collective: The Purple Bottle
- Talking Heads: Stay Hungry
- Slint: For Dinner…
- Galaxie 500: King of Spain
You can download this playlist, and many of the others we’ve created, at iTunes.