This week, watch LACMA's curators explain how the new David Geffen Galleries, opening in 2024, will establish connections between artworks across time and cultures. How will artworks talk to one another across time periods, traditions, and borders in the new David Geffen Galleries at LACMA? Find out in Making Connections, part of a series of short videos about the new building coming to our campus.
The following work will be conducted this week:
- Foundations installation for the new building at the Spaulding Lot continues.
- Installation of the remaining construction fence along the north side of Wilshire Boulevard continues.
- Removal of foundations of the Ahmanson Building and Art of the Americas Building continues.
- Final grading to prepare for shoring installations north of Wilshire Boulevard on the eastern side of the site has been completed.
- Shoring installation north of Wilshire Boulevard on the eastern side of the site has started and will continue.
Monday–Friday: 7 am–7 pm
Saturday: 8 am–6 pm
Health and Safety
Our general contractor, Clark Construction, is working diligently to ensure a safe work environment for the crews working on the site, particularly during the coronavirus pandemic. To that end, Clark Construction and its subcontractors have taken all necessary protective measures in accordance with government guidelines, which include the following.
- As in all of their ongoing projects throughout the country, Clark Construction is requiring that all work be done in accordance with OSHA guidelines and industry best practices, with workers in full protective gear, enhanced cleaning protocols, and social distancing rules.
- All personnel are required at all times to wear protective gloves, eye protection, face covering, and head protection.
- All personnel on the project go through a symptom screen before the start of work, including temperature and symptom checks.
- All workers are required to exercise social distancing of six feet or more, and all indoor meetings have been eliminated.
- Additional hand washing stations have been installed and the frequency with which they are cleaned and supplied has been increased.
- The frequency of cleaning of all high-touch areas, including portable bathrooms and shared tools, has been increased.
- Workers are encouraged to wash hands frequently and anyone who exhibits any respiratory symptoms is required to quarantine at home.
- An on-site COVID-19 supervisor, who is also a medic, has been designated and is in charge of ensuring implementation of all proper protocols and guidelines.