Building LACMA Film Series
How will areas of LACMA’s collection come to life as never before in the new David Geffen Galleries at LACMA? Find out in a series of short videos about the new building coming to our campus.
A Treasure Trove in the Tar
How is excavation for the new David Geffen Galleries furthering scientific research of the Ice Age? Learn more about fossils discovered in the construction site.
The following work will be conducted this week:
- Geotechnical investigations for foundations pile testing on the Spaulding Lot, south of Wilshire Boulevard, have been completed.
- Mud slab pours on the east side of the construction site, north of Wilshire Boulevard, have been completed.
- Horizontal waterproofing on the east side of the construction site, north of Wilshire Boulevard, will be completed next week. Protection slab pours in that area will also be completed next week.
- Subgrade preparation for mat foundations work on the west side of the construction site, north of Wilshire Boulevard, continues.
- Installation of vertical waterproofing on the west side of the construction site, north of Wilshire Boulevard, continues.
- Extraction of paleontological fossils uncovered in several sections of the construction site, north of Wilshire Boulevard, continues.
Monday–Friday: 7 am–7 pm
Saturday: 8 am–6 pm
Health and Safety
Our general contractor, Clark Construction, continues working diligently to provide a safe work environment for the crews working on the site, particularly during the coronavirus pandemic. To that end, and in accordance with recent adjustments made by the Cal/OSHA standards board on June 17, 2021, Clark Construction and its subcontractors have taken all necessary protective measures in accordance with government guidelines, which include the following:
- As with all of their ongoing projects throughout the country, Clark Construction is requiring that all work be done in accordance with OSHA guidelines and industry best practices, with workers in full protective gear, including approved head, hands, and eye protective equipment, as well as safety vests and protective shoes and clothing.
- Employees who are not fully vaccinated are required to wear face coverings while indoors and in vehicles, when accompanied by others.
- Fully vaccinated employees, who have voluntarily provided vaccination status to their employer, do not need to wear face coverings.
- Face coverings are not required outdoors. However, Clark and its subcontractors have communicated to workers that face coverings are recommended for persons who are not fully vaccinated when outdoors, when six feet of physical distancing cannot be maintained.
- Clark and its subcontractors are providing face coverings to persons who are not fully vaccinated and to any persons who request them.
- Hand washing stations continue to be maintained for workers’ use at multiple locations on site.
- The practice of cleaning all high-touch areas, including portable bathrooms and shared tools, has continued.
- Workers are encouraged to wash hands frequently, and anyone who exhibits any respiratory symptoms is requested to quarantine at home.
- Clark's on-site Supervision and Safety personnel are designated and in charge of ensuring implementation of all proper protocols and guidelines.