Building LACMA Film Series
How will areas of LACMA’s collection come to life as never before in the new David Geffen Galleries at LACMA? Find out in a series of short videos about the new building coming to our campus.
A Treasure Trove in the Tar
How is excavation for the new David Geffen Galleries furthering scientific research of the Ice Age? Learn more about fossils discovered in the construction site.
Seismic Base Isolation for the David Geffen Galleries
How will people and art in the new David Geffen Galleries be protected from earthquakes? Learn more about seismic base isolators in the new building.
The following work will be conducted next week:
- A continuous concrete pour for the mat foundation on the west side of the construction site, north of Wilshire Boulevard, starts the evening of Friday, July 8, and will be completed in the morning of Saturday, July 9. In accordance with the City of Los Angeles Noise Ordinance, LACMA has obtained an after-hours work permit and will comply with city regulations while taking measures to help mitigate any potential construction impacts.
- Rebar installation for ground level slabs continues on the west side of the construction site, north of Wilshire Boulevard.
- Soil removal continues on the Spaulding Lot, south of Wilshire Boulevard.
- Concrete slabs and waterproofing installation continue on the Spaulding Lot, south of Wilshire Boulevard.
- A temporary “falsework” support structure is necessary to support construction of the new building where it crosses over Wilshire Boulevard (between Spaulding and Stanley) and to allow traffic to travel safely underneath.
- Preparation to install this falsework requires restriping of Wilshire Boulevard to perform ground testing and construct foundations for the falsework.
- During the ground testing and foundations work for the falsework in the median of Wilshire Boulevard, two lanes of eastbound and westbound automobile traffic will be maintained. When complete, the automobile traffic lanes in this area will be reestablished and opened to the public. This work is scheduled to start in early July, subject to unforeseen delays.
- All work is being done in accordance with the Environmental Impact Report and EIR Addendum and project approvals by both the County and the City, and accordingly, automobile traffic on Wilshire Boulevard will remain open in both directions.
Monday–Friday: 7 am–7 pm
Saturday: 8 am–6 pm
Health and Safety
Our general contractor, Clark Construction, continues working diligently to provide a safe work environment for the crews working on the site, particularly during the coronavirus pandemic. To that end, and in accordance with recent adjustments made by the Cal/OSHA standards board on June 17, 2021, Clark Construction and its subcontractors have taken all necessary protective measures in accordance with government guidelines, which include the following:
- As with all of their ongoing projects throughout the country, Clark Construction is requiring that all work be done in accordance with OSHA guidelines and industry best practices, with workers in full protective gear, including approved head, hands, and eye protective equipment, as well as safety vests and protective shoes and clothing.
- Any persons who enter the Clark office are required to measure their temperature, acknowledge the rules of engagement and sign off accordingly.
- Face masks are required for employees when indoors, such as in an office, unless by themselves.
- Face coverings are not required outdoors. However, Clark and its subcontractors have communicated to workers that face coverings are recommended for persons who are not fully vaccinated when outdoors, when six feet of physical distancing cannot be maintained.
- Clark and its subcontractors are providing face coverings to persons who request them.
- Hand washing stations continue to be maintained for workers’ use at multiple locations on site.
- The practice of cleaning all high-touch areas, including portable bathrooms and shared tools, has continued.
- Workers are encouraged to wash hands frequently, and anyone who exhibits any respiratory symptoms is requested to quarantine at home.
- Clark's on-site Supervision and Safety personnel are designated and in charge of ensuring implementation of all proper protocols and guidelines.