Building LACMA Film Series
How will areas of LACMA’s collection come to life as never before in the new David Geffen Galleries at LACMA? Find out in a series of short videos about the new building coming to our campus.
A Treasure Trove in the Tar
How is excavation for the new David Geffen Galleries furthering scientific research of the Ice Age? Learn more about fossils discovered in the construction site.
Seismic Base Isolation for the David Geffen Galleries
How will people and art in the new David Geffen Galleries be protected from earthquakes? Learn more about seismic base isolators in the new building.
The following work will be conducted next week:
- Formwork, rebar installation, and concrete pours for elevated horizontal decks continue on the west side of the construction site, north of Wilshire Boulevard.
- Formwork, rebar installation, and concrete pours for above-grade walls continue on the west side of the construction site, north of Wilshire Boulevard.
- Shoring and formwork installation for elevated horizontal decks continues on the east side of the construction site, north of Wilshire Boulevard.
- Formwork and rebar installation for basement-level interior concrete walls continue on the Spaulding Lot, south of Wilshire Boulevard. Concrete pours begin.
- A temporary “falsework” support structure is necessary to support construction of the new building where it crosses over Wilshire Boulevard (between Spaulding and Stanley) and to allow traffic to travel safely underneath.
- The falsework is approximately 3 to 4 feet lower than the building will be since it serves as a platform for construction.
- The falsework system will be installed first over the westbound lanes of Wilshire Boulevard and then over the eastbound lanes of Wilshire Boulevard.
- Installation over the westbound lanes of Wilshire Boulevard will be completed this week. Installation over the eastbound lanes starts next week and is scheduled to be completed in late January, subject to unforeseen delays. After completion, traffic lanes will be restored in both directions.
- Traffic control is required while the falsework is installed over the roadway. The traffic control will be set up and taken down daily, allowing normal flow of traffic outside of work hours.
- During installation of the falsework over the westbound lanes, westbound traffic will be diverted onto the south side of Wilshire Boulevard. Eastbound traffic will remain on the south side of Wilshire Boulevard.
- During installation of the falsework over the eastbound lanes, eastbound traffic will be diverted onto the north side of Wilshire Boulevard. Westbound traffic will remain on the north side of Wilshire Boulevard.
- All work is being done in accordance with the Environmental Impact Report and EIR Addendum and project approvals by both the County and the City, and accordingly, automobile traffic on Wilshire Boulevard will remain open in both directions.
Monday–Friday: 7 am–7 pm
Saturday: 8 am–6 pm
Health and Safety
Our general contractor, Clark Construction, continues working diligently to provide a safe work environment for the crews working on the site. To that end, and in accordance with Cal/OSHA standards, Clark Construction and its subcontractors have taken all necessary protective measures in accordance with government guidelines, which include the following:
- As with all of their ongoing projects throughout the country, Clark Construction is requiring that all work be done in accordance with OSHA guidelines and industry best practices, including approved head, hands, and eye protective equipment, as well as safety vests and protective shoes and clothing.
- Clark and its subcontractors are providing face coverings to persons who request them.
- Hand washing stations continue to be maintained for workers’ use at multiple locations on site.
- Workers are encouraged to wash hands frequently.
- Anyone who exhibits any respiratory symptoms is requested to quarantine at home.
- Clark's on-site Supervision and Safety personnel are designated and in charge of ensuring implementation of all proper protocols and guidelines.